With the goal of keeping Illinois residents connected, the Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities has made free amplified phone, teletypewriters (TTYs) and CapTel devices available to qualified individuals through the Illinois Telecommunications Access Corporation.
With no age or income restrictions, we here at Freedom Home Care believe that it is a service that many of our clients could benefit from.
The only criteria required to qualify for the program are as follows:
- Being a legal resident of Illinois
- Filling out the program application (available at MOPD’s two locations)
- Having standard phone service in residence (land-line)
- Having a difficult time hearing on the phone
- Having an application signed by a doctor, audiologist or Illinois Department of Human Services Counselor for the Deaf
According to the MOPD, its Selection Centers are set up to help interested parties take advantage on Mondays through Fridays, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. They explained that no appointment is necessary, but for those who might have questions, they can contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 312-957-4861.
To learn more about the program, head here. Or talk to your Freedom Home Care caregiver, who would be happy to help with the process.