Managing Arthritis: Freedom Home Care and Medical Staffing Offers Lifestyle Changes
Arthritis, a joint disorder which causes inflammation, swelling, stiffness, and joint pain, effects 50 million Americans, according to the Arthritis Foundation. It is one of the most common and debilitating causes of disability in the United States. Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid are most prevalent types; however, there are over one hundred forms of arthritis. Although there is no cure for most forms of arthritis, relief is available. Knowing how to adapt can make living with this chronic illness less of a daily struggle.
Besides medication, there are lifestyle changes used to supplement and improve the overall wellness of people with arthritis:
- Take care of the joints to reduce further damage. Save the hands. Use the shoulder to push open doors. Shift weight, rather than lift. Avoid gripping tightly. Use gadgets to make tasks easier.
- Exercise relieves pain and strengthens joint function. From walking, yoga, dancing, or playing wii, maintaining a regular exercise routine promotes overall health and can be fun.
- Lose weight. For every one pound lost, four pounds of pressure is taken off each knee.
- Eat healthy. Increasing calcium intake can lower the risk of osteoporosis.
- Wear correct shoes and insoles, which can reduce pain and pressure on the knees.
- Reduce stress. Laugh. It relaxes the muscles, lowers blood pressure, and causes the brain to release the body’s natural painkillers.
- Rest. Get eight-hours of sleep at night, and nap when needed during the day.
There are multiple treatment options available that can help provide joint relief and allow arthritis suffers to get the most out of life, and engage in daily activities they enjoy. Freedom Home Care and Medical Staffing can help by reducing the workload: providing a personal assistant to help with laundry and light housekeeping, healthy meal preparation, grocery shopping, and personal care. They can also take the client on daily walks and offer the friendly companionship needed to reduce stress.
Supporting a loved one with chronic arthritis requires patience, compassion, and energy. They may feel depressed and overwhelmed by the arthritis pain. The loss of independence can put stressful responsibilities on family members, particularly when constant care is essential. Freedom Home Care and Medical Staffing offers highly trained, thoroughly screened, and benevolent caregivers. They can provide a program uniquely to fit the individual needs of their client and require no hourly minimum fee. On-call 24 hours a day, Freedom Home Care and Medical Staffing is available when you need them most.
Visit Arthritis Foundation at www.arthritis.org to learn more about this disease, or, for more local information, visit www.arthritis.org/illinois for education, news, and program services in the Illinois area.