Deciding on a quality home health care agency is important not only for the safety and well-being of your senior but for your peace-of-mind as well. While it might take some planning and a little bit of research to determine which questions to ask, this information can actually help you find the facility that best meets the needs of your loved one.
Interview the Organizations
Experts suggest interviewing the organizations that you’re interested in to get a better idea of the fit. During the interview, you want to ask:
- Are they a licensed organization?
- Do they provide resumes and credentials?
- Are their caregivers caring and experienced in dealing with specific conditions?
Knowing this information upfront will help you determine which agencies you’ll want to spend your time sitting down with.
Ask to Interview the Company’s Caregivers
Some companies are only able to provide you with the caregivers that they have available at the time. But they may not always be what you want or need. Other agencies will place you with the most qualified caregiving professional based on your specific situation, upon request. This way, you feel completely confident about your choice.
Is the Agency Compliant With State Laws?
Because health care industry laws are constantly changing, you want to be sure the companies you interview are compliant. Here are a few things you’ll want to know:
- Are your caregivers bonded and insured?
- Are you certified by Medicare and Medicaid?
- What are your privacy practices?
Know Your Agency
It’s important to be informed about the home care agency itself and its practices. This will help you decide if it’s the best fit for your family. Questions to ask:
- What services do you provide?
- Will my loved one have the same caregiver?
- Can we change caregivers if necessary?
- What type of training do you offer your employees?
- How do you respond to emergencies?
- Do you have references?
Every home care provider is different, so see what they offer in your initial assessment.
Safety Is Key
- Do you perform criminal and sex offender background checks for all employees?
- Are periodic background checks performed throughout the employee’s employment with your company?
- Do you perform random drug screenings on employees?
If these are key things you are looking for in a provider and you’re searching for the perfect fit in the Chicagoland area, Freedom Home Care can assist. With 20 years of experience, FHC can customize your visits with no minimum hours.