According to a recent study, 87% of seniors would prefer to age in place by remaining at home. But, why are the number of seniors in nursing homes and hospitals on the rise? Here are three reasons why seniors today aren’t getting what they want, and what to do about it.
1. Seniors aren’t planning in advance. An active, healthy man in his 60’s might not think that he needs to worry about the future. But what he isn’t considering is that it only takes one bad fall to require help for daily activities. If he begins to think about where he would like to live only at that point, it’s likely he’ll get swept into the frantic situation, end up in a hospital or nursing home.
2. What to do about it – It’s never too early to start thinking about the future. Seniors should develop a plan as soon as possible, and not wait until an emergency situation dictates their decision.
3. Seniors don’t know their options. If seniors are planning their future, many just assume that they will have to live in a nursing home someday. Perhaps they would rather live at home, but don’t know where to begin.
4. What to do about it – Seniors should research all of their options before making a decision. While moving to a nursing home or in with family might be a good decision for some, it’s not the only way to go. With the help of home nurses, such as those through Freedom Home Care, seniors can remain at home where they are comfortable while getting the extra care they need.
5. Seniors don’t convey their wishes. When parents enter their senior years, often their children are in denial of them getting older. No one wants to face the fact that the future could hold some tough times such as medical issues and age-related disabilities. Studies show the conversation simply never comes up. So when something does happen, the children of the seniors often are not sure what the senior wants.
What to do about it – Children of seniors should sit down with their parents as soon as possible to discuss where the senior would like to live if something should happen.
Preparing for the future may seem like a chore, but it’s a necessary one. To ensure that you get what you want in the future, start planning today.
Freedom Home Care is a great option for any senior wishing to remain at home but needs assistance. If you or someone you know could benefit from our specialized services, call us at 708-433-5788 for more information.