With the holiday season approaching fast, you may find yourself out shopping more than usual. This might be a little concerning if you have a loved one who is a senior. They are less mobile than they used to be and may not pay attention to their surroundings.
Police nationwide report an increase in crime around the holidays, particularly in retail areas. Senior citizens are often targeted as the victims of crime, due to the perception that they will be easier to distract or slower to react to what is happening. Senior safety tips for holiday shopping can help make shopping easier and safer for your loved one this holiday season.
Follow these tips:
- Shop during daylight hours when you can. Many stores can be quite overcrowded especially during the busy holiday season. Encourage your elderly loved one to shop earlier in the day when the stores will be more peaceful. Shopping early will also help with the daylight. It’s safer to go shopping during the day while it is still light out versus the afternoon/night when it is dark out.
- Holiday shopping alone isn’t fun. Instead, encourage your senior loved one to shop with a friend or family member. Having a family member or friend on hand will provide them with someone else to carry the bags and keep a conversation. If your loved one lives in a retirement home, it can be fun to go with a group of their friends. Heading out with others will help with gift ideas for what your loved ones may like best, and it can also save on transportation costs.
- Don’t allow them to take it on all at once. Know your limitations. Take the opportunity to get off your feet as often as you can. If needed, bring a walker or cane. Don’t overdo it, there’s always tomorrow!
- Be aware of your surroundings. Maybe keep your keys in the palm of your hand while you are walking to your car.
- If you have a computer at home, use it! Shopping online is less stressful and a safer way to buy gifts for everyone.
- After you’ve finished all of your shopping, don’t forget to give yourself a little treat. After all, shopping can be hard work, so you deserve something nice! Take yourself out for a nice meal or simply pick up something you like while walking store to store.
We here at Freedom Home Care are here for you and your loved one. We are a home care you can trust. We are here for whenever and however long you need us. At Freedom Home Care and Medical Staffing, we never lose sight of the details and focus on the customer service our clients have come to expect. Freedom Home Care is one of the leading and most respected in-home care providers throughout the Chicagoland, Northern Illinois, and North Shore area. Reach out to us today to learn more about all the services we offer.