With the COVID-19 pandemic, there are a lot of questions about how to keep yourself safe and prevent the spread of the virus. The CDC has come out to say that people should wear face masks or cloth face coverings to help keep themselves and others safer when they go out. You can learn more about why this is important below, and you can learn how to make a homemade face mask for yourself or your loved ones.
According to the Center for Disease Control or CDC, wearing a cloth face mask can help prevent the spread of COVID-19, particularly if you are in areas where it is difficult to maintain social distancing measures. The CDC says that cloth face masks should fit snugly and include multiple layers of fabric. They should also be washed regularly to maintain cleanliness.
How do you make your own cloth face mask? There are many different tutorials out there for making face masks. Below, we are going to share two simple methods for making yourself a mask. One of these involves sewing and the other does not.
Sewn Face Mask
If you have a sewing machine, or you can sew by hand, you can make a face mask with two large pieces of cotton fabric and string or elastic of some sort.
- Cut two 10 by 6 inch rectangles of cotton fabric, and stack these two pieces of fabric together with the 10-inch side running horizontally.
- Fold the top of the fabric down ¼ inch and sew along the fold. The, do the same thing with the bottom of the fabric.
- Then, fold the sides of the fabric in ½ an inch and sew this together.
- Your 1/2-inch section will be where you can thread your string or elastic through. Put it through and tie it into a loop to wrap around your ear. Do this on each side.
No-Sew Face Mask
For this type of no-sew homemade mask, you will need a bandana or similarly sized piece of fabric and some hair ties or string.
- Fold your bandana in half.
- After that, fold the new piece in thirds by folding the bottom up and the top down.
- Place hair ties or looped string on the bandana about 6 inches apart.
- Fold the left and right side of the bandana over the hair ties and tuck the pieces into one another.
- Place on face covering mouth and use the hair ties or string to loop the mask behind your ears.
At Freedom Home Care, we want to look out for you and your loved ones, even during this uncertain time. We provide services like in-home senior care, Alzheimer’s care, outpatient services and more. We help people with daily tasks or medical tasks to make their life easier. Also, we are taking extra precautions during the COVID-19 pandemic to keep people safe but still provide them with the care they need.
If you have any questions about the services we provide or the precautions we are taking during COVID-19, you can reach out to us today. We look forward to hearing from you and helping you or your loved ones in any way we can.