Trying to relief stress is no joke- especially when you are dealing with a lot. When it comes to trying to relieve stress, the more giggles and laughter the better. Doctors at Mayo Clinic have conducted studies on why laughter is good for stress relief. Find out more from us at Freedom Home Care!
Stress Relief from Laughter
While laughter alone can’t solve stress, there are a lot of positive things laughter can do for your stress both long and short term.
A good laugh has excellent short-term effects on your mind and body. As you begin to laugh, not only does it lighten your load mentally, it also induces physical changes in your body. Some of the examples are:
- Stimulates your organs: laughing can enhance your intake of oxygen-rich air, stimulating your heart, lungs, and muscles. While doing so, you are increasing your endorphins that are released in your brain.
- Activates and Relieves Stress Response: laughter fires up and then cools down your stress response, and it can increase then decrease your heart rate, making your body feel relaxed.
- Soothes tension: laughing with friends and family can stimulate circulation and aid muscle relaxation, both which can help reduce some of the physical symptoms of stress.
- Improves your immune system: positive thoughts like laughter can release neuropeptides that help fight stress and potentially more-serious illnesses. Yes, laughter can be medicine!
- Relives pain: laughter can ease pain by causing your body to produce its own natural pain killers.
- Increase personal satisfaction: laughing can make it easier to cope with difficult situations. It also helps you connect with other people.
Laughter is the Best Medicine
We encourage you to go ahead and try it out today! Make yourself and others around you laugh and smile- even if it feels a little forced you will start seeing the benefits that laughter has for you and your body.
As your home care agency in Chicago, IL we know just how important it is to be your happiest and healthiest self.