We stand with seniors to prevent falls in honor of the 11th Annual National Falls Prevention Awareness Day (NFPAD) now more than ever. Sponsored by the National Council on Aging, NFPAD acknowledges that one in three Americans over the age of 65 falls every year. With the current global pandemic greatly affecting the senior community, it is important that seniors do their best to minimize the risks of serious injury due to falls. Freedom Home Care and Medical Staffing, one of the leading and most respected home care and medical staffing agencies in the North Shore and throughout the Chicago area, would like to spread the word of fall prevention, and urge seniors to make sure they are with a companion to minimize the danger of falling.
While falls may be commonplace for a young person, it could severely injure or worsen an existing condition of a senior citizen.
Consider these facts:
- It’s estimated that in 2015, more people in America died from falls than car accidents; and five times more were hospitalized.
- Seniors are 30 times more likely than those under 65 to suffer devastating falls and 3 out of 4 falls occur in and around their home.
- One in every 45 Americans 75 and older suffered brain injuries from a fall that resulted in emergency department visits, hospitalizations or deaths in 2013.
- Every 13 seconds, an older adult is treated in the emergency room for a fall.
- Every 20 minutes, an older adult dies from a fall.
Here are some ways for seniors to prevent a dangerous fall:
- Exercise regularly, like participating in walking or Tai Chi
- Test one’s vision to prevent blurry eyesight
- Choose shoes wisely, such as avoiding slippery socks
For more information of fall prevention tips, or to learn about our range of in-home care and caregiving services contact us today! We look forward to hearing from you soon.