The summer may be winding down but the sun is still fierce! More people are diagnosed with skin cancer each year in the United States than all other cancers combined, according to the Skin Care Foundation. So even as you’ve been enjoying the outdoors and the warmth on your skin, it’s important to take a moment and incorporate some healthy habits to stay safe in the sun.
Sun Protection to Avoid UV Rays Today
This August is summer sun safety month and here are some helpful tips to stay safe in the sun. Remember that these tips are true for everyone and if you need help following any of them feel free to ask for help from a family member, friend, certified caregiver, or in-home care provider.
- Always wear sunscreen is something we’ve been told since the beginning of time, but let’s remember the details: use a broad-spectrum sunscreen to protect from both kinds of damaging ultraviolet radiation (UVA and UVB). Use a water-resistant sunscreen of at least 30 SPF for extended sun exposure. Reapply every 2 hours, this important detail is often forgotten!
- Avoid the sun when it’s strongest. This way you avoid the sun’s UV rays when they can cause the most damage to your skin. UV rays are strongest between 10am and 4pm, according to the American Cancer Society.
- Seek shade and dress appropriately. This final measure speaks to how you can choose to dress and what kind of shelter to seek out if you do happen to be out during the day. Sun hats, sunglasses, and sun shirts are a way of incorporating extra UV protection when strolling the streets or at the beach.
Sun Safe Outdoor Activities
Don’t let sun exposure slow you down this season, there are still plenty of outside activities in Highland Park to enjoy!
- Take Out Tuesdays is an event series that happens every Tuesday through mid-September. From 5-8pm grab your favorite local Highland Park takeout or bring a picnic and have an evening al fresco with live music. Outdoor family activities are also provided.
- Vintage Market is going to be a fun event where antique and vintage vendors bring their unique goods for sale. There will also be seasonal bites and beverages offered!
Most of these events take place at The Lot at 523 Central Avenue, but feel free to go to enjoyhighlandpark.com to see more events.
What If I Get Too Much Sun?
With all the fun activities still going on this season it is understandable if sun exposure does lead to sunburn so remember to drink water and to apply cooling lotions that contain aloe vera onto your skin to help it release the heat. Get outside and enjoy the sun safely!