Explore Nature in Chicago/Highland Park
If you’re in the Chicago/Highland Park area, take advantage of the nearby hiking and activity options to combine physical exercise with the beauty of nature. Here are a few recommendations:
- Heller Nature Center: With its 97-acre forest, prairie, and wetlands, Heller Nature Center offers three miles of trails for hiking and exploration. Participate in their nature programs, enjoy a picnic in the woodlands, or cross-country ski in the winter.
- The Preserve of Highland Park: This recently opened natural area features walking and biking trails, native gardens, and nature-based play areas. It’s an ideal location to immerse yourself in nature and enjoy passive recreation.
- Fort Sheridan Forest Preserve: This preserve offers spectacular hiking trails with stunning views of Lake Michigan and ravines. Explore the natural beauty while engaging in physical exercise.
- Openlands Lakeshore Preserve: Enjoy a picturesque hiking trail surrounded by greenery. This trail provides a serene escape into nature and is perfect for rejuvenating the mind and body.
- Chicago Botanic Garden: there is a museum here as well as several accessible trails.
- Heller Nature Preserve Loop: an easy 2.5 mile that takes about 47 minutes.
- Robert McClory Bike Path (Green Bay Trail): an easy 19.6 mile trail that takes 5 to 6 hours.
Remember, adopting a regular exercise routine is key to promoting physical health. Ask our caregivers, who can help you plan your routine. You can prioritize your well-being while walking, or exploring the beautiful hiking trails in Chicago/Highland Park. Adventure is out there, waiting for you to embark on the journey to a healthier mind and body.